Thursday 28 June 2007

Living next door to....

I am reading Robin S. Sharma's('The Monk who sold his Ferrari' fame) 'Who will cry when you die'.

The author asks his readers to make a list of people who they wish were their neighbours and with whom they could share their thoughts whenever they felt like. He says the list of people a reader is going to make will reflect the qualities he wants to imbibe by interacting with these people.

Here is my list:
1. David Schwartz: The author of 'The Magic of thinking Big'. He has been a big influence on me ever since I read this magnificent book. This book deserves to be included in required readings in every school. How I wish I could go to him and listen to him narrate his wonderful ideas in person!

2.Vijay Mallaya: This guy truly knows how to live life kingsize. though his larger than life image doesnt really go down well with me, but I admire him for his attitude.

3. Thomas Alva Edison: This guy stuck to the fight in the hardest of times. A living example of oft-repeated yet seldom followed 'Failures are stepping stones to success' .

4. Narayana Murthy: He is an epitome of humility. His achievements are many and his business sense shrewd, yet this man manages to keep his feet on the ground and his heart in the right place.

I intend to update this list as I come across more such people. But for now, this is it. I know I can not get these people to live next door but I hope I am able to imbibe all that they stand for.

P.S While I am at it, I might as well include the "Common Man" to this list on the insistence of a friend N.B.
The india Today this time features a caricature of the common man as the eighth new wonder of the world for going through all that he has to in India and yet for voting every year.

Hats off to you Common Man!!

6 comments:

Daman P. Dang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daman P. Dang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daman P. Dang said...

Unfortunately I dont know much details about these people and my knowledge domain is also pretty restricted. The only name that comes to my mind in this regard is Bill Gates. He made a mark on this world by selling something that is considered one of the worst products ever and is criticised in every market... Windows!! Still it is the bestseller. Moreover he did all this without a degree.. he dropped college before graduating.

would luv to be next door to him cos that way he will know when I reach a postion where he is today and till then he will keep reminding me of where I have to reach one day!!

Aditi said...

Daman: For your information and Samanya Gyan(G.K)

David Schwartz is a motivational guru.

Vijay Mallya owns the United Spirits group comprising of Kingfisher beer and Kingfisher airlines and has a very luxurious and indulgent life style.

Thomas Alva Edison- Inventor of Light bulb and has a thousand other inventions to his credit.He failed a zillion times when he was working on the bulb yet never gave up.

Narayana Murthy- Infosys founder and chief mentor.

Daman P. Dang said...

hey I do know a bit not that I am a total dumb. What I meant is that I am not much aware of history of these people.. like how they got to the postions where they stand today.. that should be interesting cos thats why these people are in ur list I guess!!

nipun said...

Hey,

How come u always want to be surrounded by some great people, aam aadmi ko to bhool hi gayi aap!!!

The real hero i guess is the common man teh individual fighting for survival.....

Ek to wo bhi hona chahiye :):)